Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Vegan & Gluten-Free 'Pop Tart'

I remember when Pop Tarts were really popular. My parents didn't really buy processed foods for me, which was a great thing when I think about it now. But as a teen, I loved Pop Tarts and I would buy a Pop Tart in school during recess time. My favorite flavor was the cinnamon brown sugar one. It was so buttery tasting and so so sweet. Pop Tarts were probably the worst thing I could have eaten for breakfast, all that sugar and more sugar. I am amazed how I wasn't bouncing off the walls from all that sugar.

At the time I was also transitioning to eating a plant based diet. I'm not sure if I ate more healthy because as a teen I wasn't too aware of what to eat. I only knew that I could not have my favorite Pop Tart because the frosting contained gelatin. Back then I knew where gelatin came from and was semi-disgusted. So I stopped eating Pop Tarts. 

So lately I have been thinking about childhood sweets I loved and wanted to customize it to be vegan & gluten-free friendly. Thus the recipe for a easy vegan & gluten-free 'Pop Tart' recipe is below. Hope you will enjoy this as much as I did.


~makes about 4-6
Ingredients
1 cup gluten-free oat flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3 Tablespoons potato starch
1/8 cup unrefined cane sugar 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
5 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


filling of your choice.

Directions 
Pre-Heat oven to 350

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, sugar, salt & xanthan gum. Then slowly stir in the coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Stir until the dough starts to form together. Roll the dough into a tight ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.

Take the dough out and roll it out until it reaches the thickness around 1/4 inch. Cut out your 'Pop Tart' size rectangles and fill it with your favorite filling. Close the edges and bake fro 15-18 minutes until the bottoms of the 'Pop Tarts are golden colored.

Allow the "Pop Tarts' to cool for 10 minutes before eating and they are also good the next day : ]

enjoy! & eat well.




3 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! Love that they are vegan too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome, make it easier to print. Too much stuff

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...