Wednesday, December 18, 2013

DIY Hot Chocolate Spoons

Los Angeles, a city where the sun shines 80% of the year, and rarely is it gloomy even in winter time. Earlier this week it sunny and almost 80 degrees and today all of sudden there are chance of rain. I am actually glad its gloomy and finally feeling like winter. This is the time to snuggle and make a good cup of hot chocolate. Or make hot chocolate gifts for others.

I like to think of myself as an amateur craft maker. This year I started to make edible gifts instead of buying stocking stuffers or holiday items. I Googled gift ideas and scrolled through a large list of suggestions. One of those were a hot chocolate dry mix and next to it was the hot chocolate spoons. 

I loved the idea of the hot chocolate mix but the concept and image of the hot chocolate spoons was just new and amazing. It's like the modern version and pretty to look at. Like something you would find at a Cost Plus or inside a Starbucks. 



So I began to research on how to make these adorable things. First I looked for the cute wooden spoons. The hardest part was reading the reviews. Since these spoons are made of wood, some may be too splintery. I found these on Amazon.com which are nice & smooth and affordable. 




Then I looked for a mold. I wanted something that the spoons can fit in. I found these silicone ice cube molds on Amazon.com too. Although regular ice cube mold or little paper cups as molds works just fine.

Tovolo Perfect Cube Silicone Ice Cube Tray, Set of 2


And now I was set for making crafty gifts. All you need now are the ingredients and an hour or two.

~9 servings
Ingredients:
1 10 oz bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips + 1/2 cup more
1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions 
First melt the 10 oz bag of chocolate over the double boiler or microwave. I think the double boiler produces more consistent results. 

After the chocolate has melted sift in the cocoa powder and sugar while on the double boiler. The chocolate make become dry and pasty, this is when you add in the 1/4 cup of chocolate that will help smooth it out just enough. (this is also a good time to add in flavors like cinnamon or sea salt to make your hot chocolate special)

Now you just need a piping bag or a zip lock bag. Spoon in the chocolate filling into the bag, snip off a bit of the end and pipe the the chocolate into the mold. Fill each mold a little over 3/4 the way up. When you are done with all the molds place the spoons in the middle. 

Refrigerate for about 2 hours or freeze for a half hour.

And you are done!




1 comment:

  1. We had these in Heidelberg, Germany, and I am in love with them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...