Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Old Fashion Chocolate Cake With a Gluten-Free Twist

Growing up I had little encounters with sweets. When I went to the grocery store my father would never ever allow me to put candy or pastries into the shopping cart. In a way I guess that was a good thing because it made me appreciate savories. Though I can recall in my adolescent years, my friends and I walked into a random coffee house and there in the display case was a huge slice of a 4 layered chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

Now this cake will remind you of the Matilda chocolate cake. That type of chocolate cake that will make you want to buy it just out of curiosity and admiration. So I bought that slice of chocolate cake and fell in love with chocolate cake, even though I could not finish that slice of cake because it was indeed so huge and rich.



That cake reminded me of the moist chocolate cake your grandmother would make for your as a child growing up and later pass the recipe down. Yes that type of chocolate cake. Made me wish I had grandmother with 'that' chocolate cake recipe. 

So here is the twist to the old fashion chocolate cake. No big secret that it is vegan & gluten-free. But a surprise that it is just as moist and  (seemingly) rich just like that coffee shop cake or it was the as seen on Matilda cake, or your grandmothers long lost recipe. This is it! This is that vegan & gluten-free cake recipe.

When you think of a chocolate cake that is vegan & gluten-free. I think of my past experiences, that I rarely bring up. I have had some very dry and crumbly cake, some had little to no chocolate flavor, and some were just not consumable. This recipe is a fool proof recipe that taste great without frosting and with it. Great for any occasion. 

*The real secret to any chocolate cake is the type of cocoa powder you use. Each cocoa powder is different. Some has more chocolate tones and some do not. 


Ingredients 
1/2 cocoa powder 
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.

Slowly stir in the canola oil, apple sauce, rice milk and vanilla extract. 

Pour chocolate cake batter into a lined  baking dish or cupcake pan.

Bake for 30 minutes if using a baking dish or bake 15 minutes for cupcakes.

Cool for at least 2 hours before frosting. 

Can be stored up to a week in the refrigerator in an air tight container.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...