Saturday, February 9, 2013

Gluten-Free Vegan Doughnuts (soy-free & nut-free)

I guess the huge debate is doughnuts vs donuts. Here is a little history lesson on this delicious treat:

Doughnut vs. donut



This brings me to the questions:
Have you had your doughnut fix today?
I sure have.

How is it that a good gluten-free vegan doughnut is so hard to find these days?
My assumptions are:
1) they are too expensive at those fancy trending gluten-free bakeries
2) there are not enough good recipes out there.

Also these are in fact baked doughnuts, so they wouldn't completely hurt your waist size. Enjoy your doughnut fix with my simple easy to follow recipe which hopefully will not disappoint you.



I used a mini doughnut pan

 assorted gluten-free vegan doughnuts: 
powdered, sprinkles, chocolate covered, chocolate coconut.


my favorite doughnut is the ones with sprinkles




Ingredients
drys
1/4 cup buckwheat flour or brown rice flour
1/4 cup sweet white sorghum
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup sweet white rice flour
1/2 cup sugar or 1/4 cup agave
1  teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan
1/4 teaspoon salt

wets
1/2 cup rice milk
1/8 cup canola oil
3 Tablspoons unsweetend applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

~serves 24 minis or 12 regulars

Directions
Preheat your oven at 350 F

In a bowl whisk together all of your dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients and gradually stir the wets into the dry bowl.

Stir until everything in the doughnut batter is fully incorporated.

Pour the doughnut batter into a pipping bag or a plastic ziplock bag (cut a small piece of a corner tip off before piping).

Pipe the doughnut batter into oiled doughnut pans

Bake the doughnuts. It will take about 10 minutes for the minutes and 15 for the regular sized ones or until the are golden but not brown.

Tossed the freshly baked doughnuts into your favorite sugar mixture or dip them into your choice of frosting or sauce.






8 comments:

  1. I made these tonight. It is the perfect recipe. So easy to make and so yummy to eat! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,

      Thank you for trying my recipe and I so happy that they turned out perfect. Hope you have a chance to try some of my other recipes too.

      Best
      ~Cake Girl

      Delete
  2. Hi cake girl!
    Just stumbled across this post and would love to make this recipe (hopefully tonight). Just one question-- when you list "sweet rice flour" are you indeed referring to the Japanese type of flour called "mochiko?" The kind used for mochi? As I'm sure you know, there are several types of rice flour (thai, regular, brown), just want to make sure I get the right one.
    Thanks for the post, either way I hope to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello eroby,

      Actually I used Bob's Red Mills Brand Sweet Rice Flour. You can try the Mochiko brand, since they both have similar courser ground texture.

      Hope this was helpful.

      Best,
      Cake Girl

      Delete
  3. These donuts are wonderful! They aren't starchy or gummy (like some gluten-free baked goods). My family loved them and enough though I made a double recipe, they were gone in a flash. I'll be making these again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed these!

      Thank you for stopping by.

      ~Cake Girl

      Delete
  4. What brand of buckwheat and brown rice flour did you use? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I use Bob's Red Mill buckwheat and brown rice flour...

      Happy baking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...