Friday, August 17, 2012

Yellow Split Pea Pudding (馬豆糕)

Yellow Split Pea Pudding, I've never had it until today when I made it. I guess its a Chinese Dim Sum dessert thing, that is only in Hong Kong. My mother was talking about the foods she missed back in the homeland, and this was one of her requests. I was going to make it step by step following the recipe, but I also wanted to try it too!!! I cant have milk, I am lactose & vegan. The lactose came first and the veganism came 2nd. So I began to make soy evaporated milk, easy easy easiest thing I've made. After all my muscle and sweat I made yellow split pea pudding, not so much of a soft pudding, but a solid block of goodness. Its actually really good. Subtle sweetness along with hints of coconut. I cant believe this was sold on the streets in the homeland.

Ingredients
1/4 cup dried yellow split pea
1/2 cup cornstarch or arrowroot + 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup water
2 tsp agar agar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup evaporated milk (i used soy evaporated milk)


Directions
Wash the yellow split peas. Add them to a pot of water, bring it to a boil (make sure to pay close attention because its easy to for the split peas to boil over) and simmer on medium low for about 20 minutes until they become tender and drain.

In a bowl mix together the cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water and set aside. If you do not have cornstarch or allergic to corn you may use arrowroot.

In a pot add in your 11/2 cup of water, agar agar, sugar, coconut cream, and evaporated milk turn on your heat on medium high, and stir your liquid mixture until the agar agar & sugar has dissolved. Allow the mixture to boil for about 2-3 minutes to activate the agar agar, then stir in your cornstarch mixture. The pot of liquid should thicken up.

Lastly, fold in your cooked yellow split peas. Pour the yellow split pea pudding mixture into a mold and refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...