Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Easy Homemade Seitan Recipe

I'm not too big of a seitan fan. The vital wheat gluten always makes me feel bloated, sluggish and sleepy. I've tried boiling the seitan ball in water and broth. I've tried to steam seitan sausage in the steamer, and I've tried the whole baking thing, but seitan never wowed my taste buds.

I guess I am concluding, seitan taste weird only because the seasoning is off, or the recipe I followed was not to my taste buds content. So, I began to experiment, looking at the ingredients of my favorite store bought packaged brands. Some had mushroom extract, and I thought I have something 'like' mushroom extract...(wan ja shan). But I can see why mushroom was a good additive, it has this meaty flavor to it. 

I try to keep my foods as less complex as possible (but not totally virgin tasteless nothing). Many recipes called for Vegan Beef or Chicken flavoring. I can only be surprised (not in a good way) and begin to ask 'why am I eating this?'. Then again I am making seitan, only for protein purposes.

Below is the awesome, simple, easy, almost effortless holly seitan recipe!. I can only hope that is as successful for you as it was for me.



Ingredients
seitan
-->
1 1/3 cup Arrowhead Mills Brand Vital Wheat Gluten (or brand of your choice)
1 cup of water*
1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base*
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Wan Ja Shan Mushroom Sauce

*or use 1 cup vegetable broth instead of water & bouillon base


broth
4 cups water*
2 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base*
1 teaspoon Wan Ja Shan Mushroom Sauce

*or use 2 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water instead of 4 cups water & bouillon base


Directions
First make the seitan:
In a bowl add in your water, bouillon base, garlic salt, onion powder and mushroom sauce & stir together. Gradually stir in your vital wheat gluten, and knead the ball of seitan n for 5 minutes. Allow the ball of seitan to rest for about 5 minutes. 

Mean while make the broth:
In a medium sized pot, add in your water, bouillon base and mushroom sauce & stir together.

Now roll out your ball of seitan into a 1 inch log and slice 1/8 inch thick pieces & add them into your pot of broth. Bring your pot of broth & seitan to a boil and lower the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour with the lid lid on. 

Serve right away or store in broth liquid. Use it in your favorite protein recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...