Sunday, April 8, 2012

Vegan Concha Recipe (Pan Dulce)

I love sweet bread in the mornings. I use to go to my local Panderia for conchita's, I would go inside and pick out which flavors I want, and take in a whiff of the warm yeasty sweet air, and on cold days it would feel extra good, because it was warm inside. But since I've I do not eat dairy, eggs or lard in this case, I had to find a new way to satisfy my cravings. And thus, this recipe came about. 

Since lard is very similar to vegetable shortening I decided to substitute it with the shortening, I think the texture is almost there, these conchita's are a little more moister then the ones you get from the Panderia, you do not have to babysit your bread with a cup of coffee, even coffee and bread is such a good balance.

Anyways, here is the recipe below, and my result. I used my hands to knead the dough for about 15 minutes very very vigorously, but the second time I used a KitchenAid (about 5 minutes), which works wonders, because I do not have to do all the work...lol











Ingredients
-->

Dough
2/3 cup water, warmed 
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon yeast
1/3 cup vegatable shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lukewarm soymilk with 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (let it sit for 5 minutes)
3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

Topping
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup vegetable shortening or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven at 350 F

In a large bowl add water, sugar and yeast, mix well until dissolved. Let the yeast reactivate in the warm water for about 5 minutes. Mix in the vegetable shortening, mix until shortening dissolved into the yeast mixture, then add the salt, and soymilk vinegar mixture. Add in the flour 1 cup at a time with still mixing, then kneed the dough for about 15 minutes until the dough is smooth. Place the dough in a bowl cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour in a warm place.

After the dough is done rising, punch the dough down, and divide the dough into 2 ounce balls, if you do not have a scale, they are about 1 inch rounds. Roll the balls to get the smooth round look. Place the balls on a sheet pan with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap.

Now to make the topping, add the sugar and flour into a bowl, slowly drizzle in the shortening or oil, while mixing. Add in vanilla extract or cinnamon in the end. Divide the sugar topping into 1/2 inch balls, roll the balls in your hand then flatten them to make a round disk, then place the disk on the dough balls on the sheet pan. Continue this step, until you have finished, there should be enough topping for each dough ball. Place the plastic wrap back on, let the dough and sugar topping proof for about 30 minutes in a warm place.

After proofing, use a steak knife to score a design onto the sugar top, make sure not to puncture the dough. Place the sheet pan into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Take the Concha out of the oven, let it cool for about 10 minutes, serve warm or chilled..


Enjoy!


some helpful and fun kitchen tools to have




4 comments:

  1. i made these gluten free but my dough didnt rise :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melly Stubbs,

      Sorry that your gluten-free dough did not rise. I have never made pan dulce gluten-free before, but I have made other gluten-free breads in that past and those were a bit tricky.

      There are a lot of factors to take into consideration like temperature, the type of flour blend you are using, the binding factor for the bread whether it be xanthan gum, flax gel, psyllium gel, egg...etc.

      Though I am sorry to hear about your experience.

      Delete
    2. I made this gluten free and it worked really well for me!

      Delete
  2. hello! how did you made them gluten free? I really want to have one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...